To ensure motorists drive safely, those planning to drive motor vehicles or ride motorcycles must be in possession of valid authorization. Vehicle drivers are required to have a valid driving license and to carry it with them at all times. The license must be shown upon request to any law enforcement organization that requires it.
Motorists must be able to verify that they fulfill the essential licensing requirements (ie: medical, driving theory and practice). Classes in theory and practise are given in Autoescuelas, and a subsequent exam set by Jefaturas Provinciales de Tráfico will need to be passed.
Age: 16 for A1
18 for license category class A, B Y B+E
To obtain a license for category classes C1, C1+E, C, Y C+E, as well as for the category class C, a certificate of aptitude must be obtained and the applicant must be 21 years or over.
1. You must have normal residence in Spain or student residence. You must demonstrate the condition of the said document during a minimum continuous period of six months in Spanish territory. You must have reached the required age.
2. You must not be banned by law from driving motor vehicles or motorcycles. Nor can you have undergone suspension or intervention Gather the required medical exam (aptitud psicofísica) for the relevant category class being applied for.
3. Be declared fit by the Jefatura Provincial or Local de Tráfico in the theory and practise tests, in relation to the class category applied for.
1. Official application form obtainable at the Jefaturas Provinciales and Locales de Tráfico.
2. Photocopy of the Documento Nacional de Identidad or Documento de Identificación de Extranjeros (NIE) that proves your residency, be it normal or conditional student residency, in Spain during the required period, together with the relevant original documents that will be returned once collated.
3. Medical exam form (Informe de aptitud psicofísica), issued by an authorised Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores, within the province where the application was made, to which should be attached a recent photo of the applicant.
4. Two recent size 35 x 25 mm photos, identical to that which is attached to the Medical Exam form (see previous point).
5. Written declaration that you have not been denied that right to drive motor vehicles or ride motorbikes by law, nor have been subject to intervention or suspension.
6. Written declaration that you do not hold another license, issued in Spain or in another European Union country, of the same category class applied for.
7. Photocopy of your driving permit or license, in the case that you possess one, issued in Spain or any other European Union country, accompanied by the original document that will be returned once collated. The said document will be presented by the holder before being issued the new license.
A1: Lightweight Motorcycles, of 125 cc, power 11 kWs
A: Motorcycles, with or without sidecar, more than 125 cc.
B: Automobiles of which the authorised mass does not exceed 3.500 kg. The number of seats (including the driver’s) must not exceed 9, of which the mass must not exceed 750 Kg. Vehicles with a tow must not exceed a combined mass of 3.500 Kg.
B+E: Combination of joined vehicles, with a tow exceeding 750 kg.
C1: Automobiles of which the mass exceeds 3.500 Kg but does not exceed 7.500 Kg may carry a tow no heavier than 750 Kg.
C1+E: The joined tow does not exceed 12.000 Kg.
C: Automobiles of which the mass does not exceed 3.500 Kg; the seats must not exceed 9 of which the mass must not exceed 750 Kg.
C + E Combinations of vehicles and tows, made up of an automobile which falls into license category class C and a tow that has a maximum authorized mass of 750 kilograms.
D1 Automobiles used to transport people, of which the number of seats (including the driver) exceeds 9 but does not exceed 17. The said vehicles can carry a tow attached of which the maximum authorised mass does not exceed 750 kilograms.
D1 + E Combination of vehicles with tow, comprised of an automobile which falls under the license category class D1 and a tow which does not exceed the maximum authorised mass of 750 kilograms as long as: – Firstly, the maximum authorised mass of the combination does not exceed 12.000 kilograms and the maximum authorised mass of the tow is not greater than the mass of the empty tractor vehicle. – Secondly, the tow is not used to transport people.
D Automobiles used to transport people of which the number of seats (including the driver) exceeds 9. The said automobiles can carry a tow attached, of which the maximum authorised mass does not exceed 750 kilograms.
D + E Combinations of vehicles with tow, comprised of an automobile that falls under the license category class D and a tow that does not exceed the maximum authorised mass of 750 kilograms.